Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Acupuncture Degrees

To be able to perform acupuncture, one must receive a degree from an accredited school. Students must receive a master�s degree to become nationally certified and to earn state licensure. Doctoral degrees are offered at many schools, but are not required. Students interested in research may opt to pursue higher education.

Degree titles vary. At South Baylor University in Los Angeles, students can study for the Master of Science of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine as well as for a doctoral degree.

New York College of Traditional Chinese Medicine offers the Master of Science in Health Science/Acupuncture Program, and a Master of Science in Health Science/Oriental Medicine Program.

At the Arizona School of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine, students can work toward a master�s in acupuncture (MAc) and a master�s degree in acupuncture and oriental medicine (MAcOM). The Oregon College of Oriental Medicine also offers the MAcOM, as well as a doctor of acupuncture and oriental medicine program.

To practice acupuncture, one must be licensed in their home state, though some states do not license or permit acupuncturists to practice within the state. A chart reviewing requirements state-by-state is available from the National Commission for Certification of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (NCCAOM).

Many states also require acupuncturists to be nationally certified by NCCAOM. Acupuncturists who receive NCCAOM certification in oriental medicine may be designated as a Diplomate in Oriental Medicine or use the abbreviation Dipl. O.M. in their title. Acupuncturists may use Diplomate in Acupuncture or Dipl. Ac.

Links to state licensing boards: see original article at

No comments: